Former pastor sentenced for child sexual abuse; more charges pending in Louisiana

Michael Ronald Goble
Michael Ronald Goble

ADRIAN — A former pastor was sentenced on Feb. 6 for the sexual abuse of several young boys, and will be extradited to Louisiana to face additional charges there.

Michael Ronald Goble, 77, was sentenced to between 10 and 15 years in prison, according to a statement from the Adrian Police Department. He had pleaded no contest, which is not a legal admission of guilt but is treated as one for sentencing purposes.

Goble was arrested in July 2024 after a 12-year-old boy, who had been at Goble’s home to do some yard work, told his mother that Goble had pulled his pants down and touched him inappropriately. The boy’s older brother then reported that Goble had done the same to him a few years earlier.

During the subsequent investigation, more survivors came forward, including some who stated that they were abused by Goble during one-on-one prayer sessions while they were lodged at the Maurice Spear juvenile detention facility. One boy told investigators that in addition to fondling him, Goble would read him Bible verses pertaining to masturbation during the prayer sessions.

He was the pastor at Church of the Good Shepherd.

The Adrian Police Department issued a statement saying that Goble’s sentence “far exceeded the range of imprisonment set forth by current Michigan Sentencing Guidelines and demonstrates the 39th Circuit Court’s reasonableness and willingness to consider the full totality of circumstances surrounding the harm caused by Goble to our community.”

Goble is also the subject of an arrest warrant for similar charges out of West Monroe, Louisiana, and police said he is expected to be extradited to face those charges as well.

More stories